Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Start This Journal Today!

If you do nothing else to further your creative career, today, you MUST do this: 

Start a 'Trash Can Journal'  

One of Kerry Daley's 'Trash Can' Journals



What is a 'Trash Can Journal'?

  • It is a concept I borrowed for a fabulous book called, Pencil Dancing, by Mari Messer.  She calls it a 'Trash Can Notebook'.  I read about it several years ago and have been using one ever since. 
  • Mari Messer's 'Trash Can Notebook' is a place to write freely, but mine is more of a scrapbook.
  • It is a holding place for everything - bits of paper, quotes, drawings, quick notes, brain storming, doodles, clippings, postcard, post-it notes, letters, lists
  • Any bit of paper I become attached to goes in the 'Trash Can Journal'.
  • I have also had a 'Trash Can Lesson Plan' folder for teaching ideas and concepts I am not quite ready to file away.
  • I have a 'Trash Can House Book' for domestic things, recipes, take out menus, window cleaning company flyers, real estate agent business cards, anything I want to keep, but can't find a home for.
  • My 'Trash Can Journal' is the first thing I turn to when I want to jot something down, or work something out, it is also the first thing I pick up when I am stuck for ideas.
  • It's not neat and organised, everything is jumbled together in no particular order, although I do tend to date the page. (And cover it with cool paper.)
  • I use cheap A4 lined notebooks and when one is full, I label the front with the starting date and the ending date, put it on my shelf, and start a new one.
  • Try it out and let me know if it works for you!

Quote of the Day
"Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and the pupil are located in the same individual."
Other Stuff

Katherine Tyrell, blog post: Making a Mark: August 2010 - Who's made a mark this month? is a 'must read'! So much information and many valuable links. And while you are there, take a look around the rest of the site. With bloggers like her, who needs books?

Take a look at teesha's circus: 6x8 journal, a real visual feast!



No comments:

Post a Comment