Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

5 Favourite Watercolour Paintings

Here are 5 of my favourite watercolour paintings.  

The style of these paintings was inspired by botanical painting after I had seen a wonderful exhibition of the Shirley Sherwood Collection of Botanical Art at the Kirstenbosch Gardens in Cape Town, South Africa.




This is a painting of a loquat leaf from a tree outside the classroom where I taught high school Art.  It is painted on a smooth paper called Schoellershammer. The paint sits on the surface of the paper and does not soak in as it would on a watercolour paper.  The colours and edges are crisp and clean as a result. 




This is a piece of copper wire.  I love the delicate lines.



Shells are among my favourite painting subjects.



I picked this mushroom straight out of the lawn in our garden in South Africa.  I had to keep it in some soil in a dark kitchen cupboard until I had finished painting it.




This was a beautiful specimen of a weaver nest that I kept for a long time and drew and painted.




If you would like to see how I approach a watercolour painting, I have photographed and explained the stages in a series of posts starting at A Step-by-Step Watercolour Painting.

2 comments:

  1. I love your work! Keep it up please!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by, Slinkyspiral and leaving this comment! Good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete